Bachelor of Science in Education
Secondary Teacher Preparation - English
Every single class here, I had amazing professors, professors that motivated me and inspired me. Not only that, but gave me one-on-one attention when I needed it.– Anne Pence Baker graduate
As a secondary school English teacher, you have the opportunity to make a significant impact in the lives of the students you teach.
In this program, you will:
- Gain the knowledge, skills, and in-classroom experience you will need to receive a Michigan Provisional Secondary Teaching Certificate, which allows you to teach your major and minor subjects in grades 6 through 12.
- Complete your English major, and select a minor from the following: biology, chemistry, history, or mathematics.
- Be eligible to apply for certification upon successful program completion and passing the required state tests.
- The average annual wage for High School Teachers is about $52,400.
- Employment is expected to grow by 12 percent through 2016, about as fast as average.
- The pool of teachers is large and many are retiring in the coming decade, so job prospects are excellent.
- Advancement for a Secondary School Teacher includes becoming head of their department.
- Or, with experience and further education, they may become an assistant principal, principal, or superintendent.